While these may not prevent every loss from occurring, these may help reduce the likelihood of having a loss.
Safety Checklist for Businesses
- Test smoke detectors monthly
- Check fire doors. They are not permitted to be propped open by wedges or any other temporary device.
- Make sure nonessential electrical equipment is turned off at the end of the workday.
- Are all exits clearly defined and visible?
- Keep exits unlocked during business hours.
- Be sure the area directly around the sprinkler head is free of obstructions. Move any items that are stored within about a foot and a half from the sprinklers.
- Require spills of flammable or combustible liquids and hazardous materials to be cleaned up promptly.
- All exit doors should be able to be opened from the direction of exit travel without the use of a key or any special knowledge or effort.