According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and the National Academy of Social Insurance, workplace accidents cost U.S. employers nearly $62 billion dollars every year, according to the 2021 Liberty Mutual Workplace study. The top five costly causes of loss may surprise you.
Top Five Costly Injuries
1.Overexertion -- Involving lifting, pulling, or carrying an object.
2.Trip and falls -- Employees tripping over an object or falling down stairs.
3.Struck by an object or equipment -- These involve an employee being struck and injured by a piece of equipment falling on or near them.
4.Sprains and Strains -- These motions include bending, crawling, reaching, twisting, climbing or stepping.
5.Auto Accidents -- Employees may be the driver or passenger where an accident caused injury.
- Have a pre-shift stretching program.
- Teach proper lifting techniques.
- Make sure equipment is securely attached to table or shelf.
- Make sure you have proper ladders and other devices for use.
- Require all employees to use seat belts.
- Prohibit use of any mobile device while driving.