Actions to Consider
- Heed the warning signs. Posted warnings of deer and animal crossing are there for a reason.
- Always drive at a safe speed.
- Many animals move around at dusk and early morning.
- Observe your surroundings. Actively scan the sides of the roads as you drive for any signs of wildlife.
- September through January is a time when deer and elk are particularly active.
- Deer and elk are herd animals, so if you see one, there may be more.
- Don’t rely on vehicle-mounted whistles or reflectors to keep deer away from your vehicle. Studies show they are not effective.
- Notify the local law enforcement agency if you have an accident with an animal.
- Contact the local emergency services if anyone is injured.
- If you have comprehensive coverage, deer accidents are covered. However, if you swerve to avoid hitting the deer and hit another vehicle, that would be considered collision coverage and is many times more expensive for your insurer and you.
Our clients have chosen our agency to insure their cars and other vehicles because of our competitive prices and personal customer service, but our policies offer so much more. Our auto insurance policy protects you against financial loss if you have a car accident. General types of auto insurance coverage include property, liability, medical, uninsured and underinsured motorists, comprehensive and collision coverage.